July 14, 2009

It’s the pod, stupid…

The weather was hot and sunny late this afternoon so I decided I’d sneak off as it was quiet and start work on the pod. I really wanted to get some of the paint inside stripped off but almost as soon as I started, clouds began to brew and it began raining before I could get that far.

Even so, I managed to make some good progress. First job was to get the pod thoroughly clean and free of grease inside and out and get any bits and pieces of tape and stuff that had been stuck onto it over the years, off again. After the initial gunking, I took a few pics showing some of the fibreglass problems I’ve got to deal with.

This one shows some splits that have been caused by people climbing in and out and missing the cross-tube. The pic is taken from underneath and the rear of the pod is at the bottom.

null

The splits had just been gaffa taped over and the pic was taken just after the tape had been removed – with some difficulty I might add 😕

This next pic shows the same splits but from the inside.

null

The next shot shows two problems – a small jagged hole that penetrates through to the inside and two smaller round holes one above the other at the top of the pic near to the pod edge that were possibly used at some time to take a small bracket.

null

And again, here’s a pic of the same small hole but taken from the inside this time.

null

This next shot shows a different kind of problem. Here the gel coat has been damaged, probably as the result of an impact, and over time it has begun to delaminate from the underlying fibre matting. This was taken from quite close up and the problem is by no means as big as it appears in the picture 🙂

null

To finish off, a couple of pics showing the front of the pod. In the next shot which is taken from underneath, the nose is towards the top and it shows the hole where the pivot tube for the front forks enters. There has at some time been some damage to the pivot tube hole which once again was gaffa taped over.

null

Here’s the same area of the pod, from the inside showing the pivot tube hole and also the slots where the extensions from the rudder pedals emerge to connect with the linkages that operate the front wheel steering. At some time something has been fixed to the steering slots, probably letter box draught excluders, to stop wind and muck entering the pod. Unnecessary you think? I have to say that when I was flying MYRO last year we landed on a strip where there were sheep and several lumps of sheep poo chose precisely that route to enter the pod and came straight at us at quite a few MPH, so I have to disagree 🙁

null

Although the above pics make the problems look pretty bad, in fact in fibreglass terms they are not too serious at all. After the shots had been taken I finished off washing the pod inside and out and its appearance immediately improved. Having now taken a close look though, I’m really glad I decided to completely remove the pod and do the work as it’s obvious that some of the things needing attention go back several years. Dealing with them can only make MYRO much, much better as a result 😀