It was a lovely flying day again today. Bit of wind, but not too much, around mid-day, but it died down later and conditions were excellent with bright sunshine and good vis. But no flying for me again today. Today’s mission was far more important – to get MYRO’s pod back on so I can move on to the screen and panel. First job, though, was cleaning all of the tubes and nooks and crannies as far as the back of the cabin. I know that I haven’t cleaned MYRO properly since last Summer but I’m amazed how much grime is now coating everything. It seemed to happen while MYRO was just standing out at Linton and not as a result of flying so I think when the time comes, I shall need to think about improving my covers so the whole pod and cabin are enclosed when MYRO isn’t being flown.
Anyway, the job didn’t take too long because everything is so accessible with the pod and screen off, and then it was time to re-fit the pod. Very little to say about it really – after my dummy run a few weeks ago, it went on very easily and with no damage. I was absolutely delighted to find that all the holes lined up perfectly, including the two for the cross tube which I was worried about after spending a bit of time a week or so ago straightening and re-shaping the brackets to get them back into shape again. Here’s how the interior of the pod ended up looking.
After all the work I’ve put in, actually I think it looks better than MYRO did originally. So now I was able to (temporarily) re-fit the lower Mikuni fuel pump and the crankcase vacuum tube and it was great to see MYRO beginning to take proper shape again. I also re-fitted the trailing links for the main undercarriage and was relieved to find that they went on pretty easily. That’s good because it means that there’s been no distortion of the main undercarriage or underside of the fuselage as a result of the accident which was a slight concern up until that point.
Although it was unlikely that they were damaged in the accident (highly unlikely according to Mark at Galaxy) I then replaced the engine mounts with the new ones that I got from P & M. In fact, the four engine mounts were one of the largest single repair items costing the best part of £150! It was at this point that I began to think about the engine itself, which was still in the back of my car after picking it up from Mark the other day while my phone and broadband were down and I couldn’t think of anything better to do with my time! Ideally, I wanted someone to give me a hand to lift it up onto MYRO’s nose, but Ken was away today and there was no-one else around. I toyed with the idea of seeing if I could do my Charles Atlas bit and just hoist it up by myself but soon realised that that would be impossible. I then found a couple of old trestles and placed them in front of MYRO with a short board across them and that got the engine nearly half way up. I then tried placing the engine on a concrete block on the board and that got it about half-way. I experimented with climbing onto the board to see if I could then lift the engine but it was all too rickety and I had visions of the engine wobbling until it fell onto the pod, smashing it and taking me back to square one, or beyond even if the engine was also then damaged.
As the pics show, MYRO is in the corner of an unfinished building and I had the idea of taking a large scaffold board, placing one end on the top of the adjacent wall, tying the engine in a sling arrangement about three feet or so from the other end and then lifting the other end to raise the engine in a kind of lever arrangement. In fact it worked like a charm 😀
I soon had the engine in position located by the two rear bolts that can’t fall out on account of the two nose support tubes on each side. It was then just a simple matter of tightening all the engine mounts, re-fitting the carburettors which have been kept on a polythene bag all this time and re-fitting the exhaust. Here’s how MYRO looked by the end of the day.
I was absolutely over the moon. MYRO is beginning to look like a proper microlight again now and today was a really big leap forward. Tomorrow I’ll be able to fabricate the new screen and who knows – maybe I’ll even be able to get it fitted. I’m keeping my fingers crossed 🙂