My new wood store is now totally finished. At last, and I can’t say that I’m sorry to see the end of it. It’s one of the heaviest projects that I’ve taken on since coming here and I’d be lying if I said that at the end, it hasn’t taken a bit out of me. It had to be done, though, before the bad weather arrived, but thank goodness it’s all now behind me and having had it take over so much of my life in recent weeks, I can now begin to get myself back into some kind of balance again.
Today I just had to finish off the roof (waterproof patches around the ‘grenier’ landing supports, roof side boards, front corner trims) but I could never forgive myself if I’d cut any corners along the way and as usual things took a bit longer than I’d anticipated. But in the end, the wait (for me anyway) was well worth it because I was very pleased with the results. Readers can judge for themselves from the pictures. First, two shots comparing the old and new stores taken from almost the same position, then my original plan for the new one and then some further shots of the finished article.
While I was at it, I made some new ‘grenier’ stairs from the two oak boards that I used right at the very beginning to help with laying the concrete base, so that was another plus.
The roof came out very tidy and I’ll be very disappointed if I get any leaks down into the store. My plan is to put a gutter along the front edge of the roof to prevent rainwater running off and splashing back up off the ground onto the woodwork and it’ll also give me the opportunity to site a water butt on the left of the store just in case there’s ever a summer water shortage so I’ll still be able to water the garden.
So that’s it. Here’s a final shot with the doors open showing what it was all about, with all the wood nicely stacked along one side in what should be perfect dry conditions for it.
Today was much cooler than of late with the temperature only getting up to 16 degrees Celsius. Although the house was not too chilly, the temperature is forecast to fall to around 5 degrees by dawn, so I thought that I’d fire the jolly old wood-burner up for the first time since I cleared the flue out in the Spring.
I’m glad and somewhat relieved, I must say, that even with the remainder of the old garden wood that I still had after last Winter, which is now much dryer of course, it’s back to being the same as it was right at the very beginning ie running like a train and absolutely chucking out heat. This time around I’ll just have to make sure that I look after it and keep my flue clear and hopefully if it keeps performing like it is as I type this, I’ll be able to look forward to a nice warm house this coming Winter 😉