It was another lovely soft late Autumn day today and by the look of the pink clouds while the sun was going down as I was walking back earlier with the dog, the shepherds around here must be highly delighted. Knowing that I was on the very last lap and with the weather being so gorgeous, it was an absolute pleasure working on MYRO today. I decided that as there was so little of it to do, I might as well take some of the red paint I used for the pod and touch in the two or three small chips that were now on the pod leaving time for the paint to dry while I was doing other work. After I’d done it, anyone who didn’t know where they were wouldn’t be able to find them now without a good search, so that was good.
Then all I had to do was re-do the ties between the pod and the rear fuselage cover. That was a bit more involved than it sounds because firstly there’s a gap at the back of the pod where things can drop out if they fall onto the pod floor (I lost a retractable chinagraph pencil that way when I was training with Rosie and I’m not sure you can get hold of them any more) and secondly, I had to deal with a bulge in the cover caused by the rubber tubing on the outlet of the second tank. I took a couple of pieces of polycarbonate sheet with me and the gap I dealt with as before by cutting a half-ellipse of plastic that I secured with the cable ties to cover it. I then cut an ellipse of plastic to go under the second tank’s outlet to spread the load across a wider area of the cover. I secured it by one small cable tie onto the tube and wedged a piece of foam rubber under it too. Afterwards there was still a small bulge but nothing like as big as it was previously. Another hour or so and all of the pod cable ties were in and the work on MYRO was finished. It was a terrific feeling to know that I’d at last arrived at the top of the mountain after working all the months that I have done, and the best feeling of all was knowing that as well as achieving the main objective of getting MYRO back into the air, I’ve also made it better than it was before. That was important to me because at least I know that some good has come out of the disaster that occurred back in May.
Before I can fly MYRO out I have to get it inspected of course, but I also need to get an hour or so’s ground running and power checks in so I can have confidence that I won’t lose the engine on take off. So I wheeled MYRO out into the sheep field again and here are some of the pics I shot before I started and after I’d taken a short break to loosen the font suspension bolts off a little bit.
It would be great if I could get Chris across to do the inspection during the coming week so I’ll have to play it a bit by ear. I’m busy on the afternoons of Tuesday and Wednesday so I’ll have to watch the weather forecast for later on in the week and also see how Chris is fixed. Who knows, with a bit of luck I’ll be able to fly MYRO over to Stoke for its check flight next week-end and it could be permitted the week after. Now that’s something I really am looking forward to 😀