Borrowed my stepson’s car and returned Rosie’s trailer yesterday evening, so that cleared the decks ready for the final couple of laps. I only have to think about getting MYRO finished now. The weather today was glorious. I phoned Rosie first thing to let her know her trailer was back and all she wanted to do was dash off and go flying, and who could blame her. I would like to have done the same myself but unfortunately I had to be strict with myself and press on with my jobs 🙁

The final nuts, bolts and other sundry items that I need to finish off MYRO and get it all back together again arrived this morning from P & M, so my first job was smashing the dandelions down on my back lawn with the Flymo so I could get all the struts and the tailplane assemblies out and do the work that I needed to do on them.

First out were the struts. Bucket of water, cleaning materials, elbow grease – pretty soon they were all standing there white and glistening in the sun. Very satisfying. Considering MYRO is over 15 years old and has been used for training for much of that time, I was pleasantly surprised at how few knocks and scratches there are on them. I didn’t bother touching in any spots today as I had other things to do, but I may do eventually when everything is finished.

Next onto the lawn was the horizontal stabiliser. The work needed here was purely cosmetic – just gave it a bit of a clean and replaced several nuts and bolts that although still safe, were a bit rusty and a bit of an eye-sore. I was very pleased with the results 🙂

Last job was the rudder. I was rather sad to see when I took it off the garage wall where it had been hanging safely since last June, that there were several indentations on the fabric on the side that had been against the wall and had therefore not been visible. There was nothing on the wall that could have caused them and I can only conclude that as the rudder had been placed in the rear of MYRO’s fuselage when I acquired it, something inside had been responsible. I suspect it was the coiled up aileron cables. Two of the indentations were not too bad but one higher up on the fin had slightly perforated. Fortunately the damage is not too severe – there are many AX3s flying with much, much worse – and I think that a spot of VinylWeld will do the job. The tube I have is now far too old and I have to buy another anyway to sort out the little nick that was caused to the fabric on one wing leading edge when we transported them last week.

The very last job for today was the one I’d been least looking forward to – removing the old, tatty registration letters from MYRO’s fin. My reservations proved to be well founded and the job turned out to be a total stinker. The old letters came off no problem but when they did so, they left behind the old glue residue. Shifting this was a horrible job – I tried all kinds of solvents and cleaning materials but there was no easy way to do it. In the end I found that the best way was to very carefully heat the old glue up with a hair dryer and rub it when soft with a pad of dry kitchen roll. Then it was just a matter of cleaning the gunge that was left off in any way possible 😯

I finished off one side and made a good start on the other but in the end I had to call it a day. So that’s a job to be finished off tomorrow. I loaded all the struts into my car ready to go off to Linton tomorrow but I’ll try to finish the fin off first before I do anything else. Otherwise I’ll be side-tracked and it would be very tricky doing the lettering if the fin was on the aircraft.

I’d like to think that with the weather being so good, MYRO might be back together again by the end of tomorrow. However, it might be too big an ask and we’ll just have to wait and see 😉