The weather forecast for today was for constant rain, sometimes heavy, and it looks like that’s what we’re going to get. I need dry conditions to put the roof on the new wood store as the OSB3 sheeting needs to be dry for me to apply the bituminous adhesive for the roofing felt and I can’t even measure and cut the sheets while it’s raining as I don’t have anywhere dry to work that’s sufficiently large.

I went out a few minutes ago while the rain was only light and re-jigged the sheets that I’d placed on the store roof as water was being channelled in through a low spot and collecting in a pool on the floor. Afterwards I took the following shots that show the problem that I’m having to deal with.

null

null

null

null

null

My main concern remains that of water penetrating into the OSB3 sheets and causing permanent damage, but there’s nothing much that I can do other than wait until the rain stops. It’s still raining as I type this at just gone a quarter-to-one and from the look of the current forecast, that might not happen until the week end. If I’m lucky, I might get a few breaks in the showers tomorrow but although that might give me enough time to cut the sheets to size, which I’ll be grateful for, I doubt that it’ll be enough to dry them out sufficiently to apply the roofing felt to them. I guess that I’ll just have to wait and see.

Evening edit

The rain did let up enough in the early afternoon for me to get a bit more work done, but not much. I’ve now got all of the wooden framework in place to take the roof and have at last made a start on fitting the roofing sheets, starting with the tricky little bit under the landing of the stairs to my ‘grenier’. But everything is now very wet, so much so that when drilling using my new little cordless Black and Decker, the drill kept jamming because the wood was so moist. The roof sheets are also now very wet and even if the rain stops long enough in the next day or so for me to cut them to size, I won’t be able to apply the roofing felt to them until they’ve had some time to dry out. As I’ve got more than enough roofing felt, I may just have to place some on top of the roof when the sheets are in place without permanently fixing it to allow the water to dry out. This is just what I was trying to avoid, but in the end you can’t control the weather 😐