As one veteran Youtuber is fond of saying. We may not have quite turned the corner here weatherwise – we’re expecting some early-hours freezing temperatures next week-end if we can believe the weather forecast for that far ahead – but we’ve been getting some lovely days and must be quite close to it. On my way back from the supermarket the other day I saw 21 degrees Celsius on my car temperature gauge and we’ve been getting 15 – 17 degrees on a fairly regular basis.

Today we had blue sky and around 16 degrees so having made a start on the making good to the floor in front of my ‘new’ patio door yesterday and as I was feeling a bit tired after all the cleaning up that I had to do (fine dust everywhere from having used a diamond blade to cut chunks out of the existing floor tiles) I thought that I’d take a break to go over to Malbec and run the engines of my Savannah and Xair. And I was glad that I did because I felt much better afterwards for having done so and had the benefit of the sun and fresh air.

Both engines started faultlessly despite not having been run for several weeks. The fuel pressure on the Savannah took a while to come up, which it hasn’t done before. It wasn’t because there wasn’t any – the engine started and ran fine before the needle rose to the right level – so there might be the makings of either a sensor or gauge problem. I suspect that the former is more likely but I’ll have to keep my eye on the situation and see if I can find a way to check what’s going on. It’s really annoying that I have so many other things on my plate at the moment.

The Xair also had a brief problem with its fuel system. After it had started and begun running, the front Bing carburettor began overflowing and fuel began blowing back onto the windscreen. I stopped the engine and cleaned it off as soon as I noticed, being mindful of the damage that occurred to my Savannah’s screen a year or so ago, but luckily no harm was done.

I removed the carburettor bowl but both of the floats were working fine so I surmised that the problem was something to do with the carburettor’s fuel shut-off needle valve. Ater I jiggled it up and down a few times and replaced the bowl, everything worked OK, so it was probably because of just a small deposit that had formed as a result of the fuel in the carb having evaporated.

So apart from the Savannah’s fuel pressure gauge problem, I was happy with how things went. Even that might also have been due to fuel in the system having evaporated and may revert to normal next time now that fuel has flowed through the system, I’ll have to wait and see. The last time that I ran the engines I shot a video of the Xair so this time I took a few shots of the Savannah.

null

null

null

null

It looks OK in the above shots but is actually rather dusty and dirty despite not having been flown (I think) since I last cleaned it. I must get around to doing that. I also bought several metres of cheap fabric a while back to make some hangar covers for it to keep the dust and bird poo off it while it’s in the barn. It was noticeable today that the Xair, which has outdoor covers on, was still clean so I need to find some time to do that too. When I just do not know…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *