I drove across to Galinat this morning and refitted 56NE’s prop. I had a bit of a late night last night messing around with video stuff and left home later than I’d originally planned, so by the time I’d finished the job, it was a bit too late to fly. But the weather was a bit ‘funny’ this morning and the wind was much brisker than had been forecast, so I’d decided that I wouldn’t fly today anyway, and leave it to during the coming week when hopefully conditions will be better.

When I arrived, I was pleased to find 56NE exactly as I’d left it with the covers all in place and the tie-down ropes all still nice and taught. It didn’t take very long to get the prop on and while I was doing it, I revised my idea of what the securing bolt torque should be. The figure of 20 ft-lbs that I quoted in my last post I decided was a bit high and was for one particular make of wooden prop that I’d found on the internet. I think that a lower figure of 11-14 ft-lbs is more typical and as I didn’t want to risk crushing the wood, I ended up torquing the bolts up to 15 ft-lbs. I’ll be monitoring them every flight to start with and re-torquing after a few hours, so I think that it’ll work out OK at that figure. If they do slacken off significantly, I’ll soon know and be able to add a bit more to them. Here are a couple of pics showing the prop finally back on the aircraft. I think it doesn’t look too bad.

null

null

When I drove to ‘Les Briconautes’ and back for the extra paint stripper that I needed to finish the job, I rigged up a camcorder mount in my car and recorded the drive in each direction. These are the videos that I mentioned above, and I’ve now knocked them into shape so they’re ready to view. I also recorded the drive to Galinat and back today but haven’t had a chance just yet to turn them into proper videos. I’ll be putting the ‘Les Briconautes’ videos onto My Trike as soon as I can – they are each over 500 MB in size and uploading them will take time because of the slowness of the internet down here. When they’re up, I hope that people will be able to get a better idea of what it’s really like here, and when they’re done, I’ll also be uploading the Galinat ones as well.