But only temporarily! The German supplier to whom I sent back the ATR833S radio has confirmed that it has arrived safely, but although advising that the new items that I wish to order are in stock and ready to be shipped out, hasn’t yet confirmed my revised order. So although I know that I should receive them in the next week or so, the delay is eating into the time available before my prospective April time windows for my flight to the UK.

I therefore have to get moving on the instrument panel redesign that I have planned for 77ASY. The sheet of lacquered aluminium that I ordered last week for the new panel front arrived today and knowing that this would be the case, I took the step over the week-end of moving the aircraft back up into the barn. The reason, as I found out when I did the screen replacement a couple of years or so ago (my, doesn’t time fly!), is that it will be much cleaner and brighter there to do the work.

It’s much too dark in the hangar, even with the doors open, and in any case, I don’t want to have the chore every day before starting work of having to open the doors, especially if it’s raining. Plus I can work in the barn relatively comfortably even if it is raining, just so long as it’s not also blowing a gale, unlike in the hangar where experience has shown that the bare earth floor soon becomes like a quagmire.

Here are some shots that I took of the Savannah in place in the barn together with the Weedhooper and ready for me to start work.

null

null

null

null

null

null

The first job is to strip out the existing panel, which I hope to be able to start doing tomorrow. As I’ve got to re-use the existing headset extension cables, I’ve decided to make up my own connection cables for both the radio and the transponder.

The latter is dead easy – just a power supply – but it will be much more complicated for the radio as unless I can get the information from Alphatec, I’ll have to work out the jack plug connections for myself. But in any case, if I bought the TQ radio connector cable (199€) I’d end up discarding most of it anyway. That or having another set of connectors away from the D-plug on the rear of the unit, which I want to avoid as it would just be a potential noise source.

As usual, I’ll record progress here in My Trike. I’m looking forward now to getting cracking, and there’ll be even more of an incentive when the new radio and transponder have arrived and I can hold them in my hot little hands 😉

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *