My son departed for home on Tuesday so I was straight back to work on the Savannah yesterday. The first thing I did was connect up the new strobes to make sure that they worked properly and the title of this post is my reaction when they burst into life! It’s a much over-used word these days, but I was extremely impressed when I wired them up on my kitchen table and ended up with blobs in front of my eyes for several minutes!

null

null

I connected them into the Savannah yesterday but apart from testing them, I couldn’t finish the job as the fixing screws that I needed were smaller than those that I had available. I couldn’t wait to finish the job off today and here are the shots of the new strobes mounted at last on the Savannah’s wingtips.

null

null

null

So with that job done, it was time to move on to completing the work on the panel. First a shot of the new high level switch panel, finished at last and mounted in position.

ICP Savannah switch panel

I love the little electric clock that I decided to fit and think that it was a very good decision. It only illuminates when the master switch is turned on and has an internal battery so as to retain its settings when the power is switched off. Here’s a close-up view of it.

null

The little red button is one that I’ve had in my box of electrical bits for over five years, since I was adapting the radio push-to-talk in my pal Ken’s X-Air back in the UK. It’s one that I rejected then as being too small for that application but has turned out to be perfect for this job.

It’s used to select the clock’s various functions: Time Hours/Minutes -> Time Seconds -> Date Year/Month -> Timer. It works like a charm and will save my having to use my watch for navigating by. And I also think that it’s great in blue 😉

And finally for today, the big one – sticking on the new screen top covering. I decided to use slow-curing (about 1½ hours) PVA glue in preference to contact adhesive because I wanted a glue that would allow me to move the covering around so I could get it correctly positioned and would also be easy to clean off any excess, smears etc when I was finished.

PVA satisfied both of those requirements and it seemed to work fine, although I’ll know better tomorrow when it’s had time to fully cure. I also attached one of the rubber trims that I had delivered a few days ago as an edging and also fitted the compass. Here’s how it turned out.

null

It has been hard work and a bit of a long haul, but I’m very pleased and think that all of the work has been worth it. The rubber edging isn’t quite right, but I can deal with that at any time in the future.

So all that’s left is to fit the new landing light. Apart from that, 77ASY is at last airworthy once again and who knows, with a bit of luck I might be able to get it back up in the air this week-end as on Saturday we’re expecting 15 degrees, a clear sky and light south-to-south-easterly winds. Should be more or less perfect 🙂