Another lovely warm, calm day but I didn’t manage to get as much done as I’d have liked. The reason was that I ran out of nails and instead of just nipping down to les Briconautes to pick up some more, I thought that I might as well make the trip to Brico Depot, pick some up there and also get all of the fittings and fixings that I will need to make up the doors in due course.
It turned out to be a bit of a bad move because although I did get several items that I will need when I do eventually get around to making up the doors, Brico Depot didn’t have the nails that I needed. Also, their hinges and door bolts were a lot cheaper than the ones at les Briconautes but much inferior, so because I needed the nails anyway so I could keep working, I ended up going there as well.
However, I did manage to complete all of the basic boarding and here are some shots that I took before it became too dark after I’d cleaned up and tied down the waterproof roof covering.
The next shot shows the small opening window that Wim gave me. It was an old single-glazed one that he took out when he went over to triple glazing.
Here are a couple of shots of the interior. The window will be quite handy and as it’s south-facing, being an opening one, it’ll also be a good way to get a breeze into the interior if I’m doing any work in there during the summer.
And here’s an interior shot in the other direction.
The tool store is a good size, larger actually than it appears in the photographs, and will make a good workshop when I’ve put in light and power. I do have one problem, however. For some reason the last batch of concrete that I laid along the window end has turned out to be of very poor quality. It’s almost as though there was hardly any cement in the mix, which wasn’t the case of course, and the surface is breaking up just with a hard brushing using a stiff broom.
It won’t be too hard to fix – I’ll just need to give it a good scouring with something like a wire brush to remove the unstable surface layer and then lay a sand-cement screed on top to make it wear-resistant and match the rest of the floor. It’ll just be one extra job…