At last! As I mentioned in my last post, the X-Air has been standing for several weeks with its flywheel pulled off ready to have its ignition stator removed and replaced with MYRO’s old one that I thought was damaged but possibly might not have been. Only one way to find out – swap ’em over!

My good friend Wim gave me a hand to do just that today and we managed to avoid re-timing the engine by only removing one (of the two) ignition contacts and then replacing it in exactly the same position relative to the flywheel mark as the one that we’d not moved. By mid-afternoon it was time to fire up the engine and find out if we’d done the job properly and if the replacement stator did indeed work.

As usual, the trusty 582 engine fired into life after a bit of hand priming to get fuel back up into the empty carbs and then it was time to check the mag drops. The mere fact that the engine had started so easily was a good sign and when I checked the drops they were both small ie within expected limits and equal.

So that was it! MYRO’s old stator was undamaged after all but as the X-Air’s was faulty there was nothing lost (except my time) by replacing MYRO’s old one with a new one on the 503 engine now fitted to the Weedhopper.

So tomorrow all I’ll have to do is return to Malbec and finish the job off as various cables need to be properly routed and tied and a couple of nuts securing the butterfly valve oil container bracket then retightened. All I’ll then have to do is give the X-Air a clean up, take some shots and post it for sale on Le Bon Coin. It’d be nice if I could have one last flight in it, mind.

By way of bringing me back down to earth, this evening I got a call on my mobile from one of my doctors at PĂ©rigueux. He said that this morning’s blood test showed that my white blood cells are very, very low, which is not unexpected as a result of the chemo. However, he said that if I get the slightest fever or feel sick, I MUST immediately come into the hospital to be dosed up with antibiotic.

Alarming in a way, but luckily I feel absolutely fine. And it’s very comforting to know that they are keeping so close to me and taking my treatment so seriously that they’re prepared to give me a call out of hours. I’m humbled and incredibly grateful.