January 18, 2017

My new landing light

The forecast high for today was 3 degrees Celsius but according to my car temperature gauge it was 8 degrees in this afternoon’s bright sunshine. And with little or no wind it was a good day to go flying, but although I was at Malbec I had other things to do, in the shape of fitting my new landing light.

I’ve ordered the items that I need to give 77ASY an oil change and new plugs but as they won’t arrive for a few more days I thought that I’d refit the engine cowlings that I removed a few days ago to install the new landing light in the lower one. The reason is that Saturday looks as though it should be another good flying day, and just in case I’d like to be ready to take advantage.

But as this was the first time that I’d removed 77ASY’s engine cowlings, I took a few photographs before replacing them.

null

null

Considering that the Savannah is now almost 16 years old, I don’t think that things ‘under the hood’ look in too bad shape, although I’ll be giving all the tubes, hoses etc and the engine frame a good check over when I do the oil change. Then it was time to refit the cowlings and connect up the new landing light and here’s how it looked when I’d finished.

null

By this time the sun was low and shining directly onto the nose of the aircraft so although I switched the light on to try it out, it wasn’t really a fair test.

null

Having completed the landing light job, it was time to turn my attention to the floor of the hangar in which 77ASY is temporarily residing. It slopes downhill and when I came to refuel the aircraft a few days ago ready for my next flight, I found that almost all the fuel on board had flowed into the lower wing tank. I also noticed that the lower filler cap was below the higher tank and if therefore I’d added more fuel there was a real risk of it leaking out of the lower filler cap vent over 77ASY’s wing.

That’s all I need after having had the recent fuel leak that damaged 77ASY’s windscreen, so I thought it best to leave refuelling until I’d been able to level the hangar floor up a bit. And that’s what I decided to also tackle today. I didn’t want to make a big job out of it because when the hangar has been cleared out a bit (my French Weedhopper is also in there for the time being) we’ve decided to lay a level concrete platform for the aircraft to stand on, so today I just dug out a channel for the higher wheel to stand in.

And it worked very well as the following pictures show.

null

null

So that was it for today. Tomorrow I’ll go back and top the tanks up ready for my next flight which with a bit of luck should be this week-end. I hope so as I haven’t flown since mid-December before my guests arrived for Christmas and New Year, so I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed 😉