January 16, 2017

A good day for doing ‘stuff’

A belated ‘Happy New Year’ to everyone who’s still with me and following My Trike at this stage of my meanderings through my life in France. I really do appreciate all the messages and comments that I receive so a big Thank You to everyone concerned.

Well, Christmas has come and gone and here we are already over two weeks into the new year. My sister and brother-in-law who joined me for a month over the holiday period left on Saturday so now it’s time to get back into the stride of things.

There were a few fine days while they were here but not that many to speak of, so I didn’t miss out on much flying. And although it was bright today, it was rather cold with a bit of a northerly breeze, so not one to be thinking about getting up into the air. And I didn’t want to anyway as I had other plans.

I removed 77ASY’s engine cowling yesterday and as I don’t know when it last had a service, I’ll give it an oil change and new plugs during the coming couple of days. The other thing that I wanted to do was fit the new LED landing light that I’ve had in the boot of my car for several weeks so when I returned home, I brought the lower section of the cowling with me.

I’ve been thinking about how I might secure the new light in place and eventually came to the conclusion that as the old one was merely held in situ by silicone sealant and it hadn’t budged the whole time, I’d just do the same with the new one. All I needed to do was enlarge the existing hole to take it and ‘Bob’s your uncle’.

Well, not quite, because although I wanted it to be a nice snug fit, I didn’t want it to be forced in in such a way that it was trying to pop out again. Plus I also had to adjust the shape of the hole to take account of the curvature of the cowling, so that was today’s conundrum.

I did the work in my kitchen where it was nice and warm. The body of the lamp is 65mm in diameter and its rim 70mm and luckily I had a 64mm hole cutter handy. So the first job was just to use it to enlarge the size of the existing hole and then it was a matter of carefully enlarging it further and changing its shape, checking all the time as I went, until the light went in.

It went pretty well as the following pictures show.




The silicone sealing job is not my best ever as it was difficult both holding the cowling firmly and applying the sealant at the same time. However, one thing I have learnt about using silicone sealant is knowing when to stop and I decided that enough was enough before I spread it all over the cowling and the light itself.

I think it’ll do the job and enhance the appearance of the Savannah. Now I can’t wait to get it connected up and see how it looks 😉