March 29, 2010

G-MZEL Video

As mentioned in my last post on Saturday, the video’s now in the Video Gallery and below is a direct link to it.

MZEL Video

Thinking ahead to maybe trailering MYRO to Linton next weekend, which is the long four-day Easter weekend of course, I had hoped yesterday to do the last ‘big’ job that I could do at home, namely fit the auxiliary fuel tank. With the clocks going forward, I ‘lost’ an hour but managed to get out there by around lunch time. The first job I did when I got MYRO all those months ago was refit the fuel tank that had been removed. And what a horrible job it was because of limited access, tightness of the holding straps, tubes that stuck out and couldn’t be removed and other things like that. Well, now ironically, in order to do the last job, I had to begin by removing the original fuel tank!

This was because there is a tube that comes out of the bottom of the tank that connects to a fuel water test drain and you have to put a ‘T’ into this to connect to a similar tube on the bottom of the auxiliary tank, thus connecting the tanks in a ‘U-Tube’ arrangement. I decided that I would prefer to make this connection properly from scratch, as it is such an important one (after all, you don’t want fuel to be draining out of a full tank whether on the ground or in the air because of a dodgy connection, do you) which meant taking the tank right out again.

So that’s what I did. In fact, because I’d done the job before and knew what to expect, it wasn’t quite as bad this time around. I got the tank out OK, removed the old base tube and replaced it with one of slightly smaller diameter, which turned out to be much better than how I’d done it previously. I put the ‘T’ piece in very close to the tank outlet because space is very restricted down there and when the tank was replaced, the whole job was much better than what I’d done originally. I then connected a length of tube of the same diameter to the outlet on the other tank because my intention ultimately is join the tubes from each tank roughly at the mid-point of the fuselage behind the seats.

I then got going inserting the webbing straps that will support the auxiliary tank behind the pilot’s seat in the four slits in the seat cover that had already been cut previously by someone and wrapping them around the seat frame so they will hold the tank securely. Easier said than done. I got the two horizontal straps in and a wire in to pull one of the top straps through when, you’ve guessed it, down came the rain. The old enemy had struck again 😐

So that was that – back MYRO had to go into the garage before the downpour became to great and the job will have to be completed later. It’s not one I want to do on an open airfield, so ideally I’ll have to try and get it done sometime this week.

That may not be easy because yet again, the forecast is for a deep depression moving in from the south-west bringing high winds, lots of rain, low temperatures and possibly even a day of snow. Nice 😯